Monday, October 20, 2008

Heroes In A Box

Superheroes could be defined as many different things. They could be considered someone with superhuman powers. But while that can be said, Batman has no superhuman powers but would still be considered a superhero. Some may also say that superheroes need to have a alter-ego or a disguise of some sort. Most superheroes have amazing abilities such as flying, mind control, strength, speed, x-ray vision, etc. Superheroes also appear in many magazines, music, comics, television shows, music videos, and movies. The first superhero was Mandrake the Magician. He had the ability to make anyone believe anything he would like. Superman followed this superhero four years later. While there are many superheroes there are also evil superheroes or villains. While a villain is trying to accomplish ruining something or terrorizing a town, superheroes are trying to accomplish saving it. Superheroes and villains have always been arch rivals but it makes everything more interesting. I chose superheroes because it's something everyone knows about.

Although there are many songs about superheroes one of the most popular would be "Spiderman" By the Ramones.




Another very well known song would be "Superman (It's Not Easy)" By Five for Fighting.
(The official music video could not be embedded)



The Incredibles is a movie by Disney/Pixar about a family of undercover superheroes that had to become a normal civilized family. But when an evil villain is scheming a plan to destroy the world they are put into action to try and save the world from complete destruction.



Another movie that was recently out called Hancock. This movie is about a superhero that is depressed, or unhappy. He continues to save people but in doing so he causes the city to have a lot of money in damages. He doesn't care about destroying other things while he saves the people in need, but the city is getting annoyed or mad with what he's doing. The thing i liked about this movie is that it gives a different view of superheros and that not all are undercover or amazing people.



A poem called Steve The Superhero is about a guy named Steve who says he is a superhero just by being himself. Whether it be his smile or having smelly feet.

Steve the Superhero

I'm Steve the Superhero
and you simply won't believe
the superpowers I possess
by merely being Steve.

My smile can crack a mirror
and my breath can make you faint.
And when I take my socks off
it's been known to peel the paint.

The power in my underarms
can make a grown man cry.
A single burp can make you want
to crawl away and die.

The bad guys know it's hopeless,
so they all get up and leave
whenever they get wind of me--
the superhero Steve.

--Kenn Nesbitt
Another poem about superheroes is called If I Could Be A Superhero. This poem is about a man that wants to be a superhero but his fears keep him from being able to live up to other superheros like Superman and Spiderman.

If I could be a Super Hero
By: Steve Lazarowitz

I don't think I could be Superman
I'm sort of scared of heights
I'd sort of like to be Spiderman
But I'm afraid of spider bites

I suppose I could be Wolverine
But I'm afraid people would stare
I'd consider being the Incredible Hulk
But radition's bad for your hair

The fantastic four, now there's a thought
But I'm not sure that's for me
Ben's too ugly, Johnny too hot
And Sue I just can't see

Maybe though I could be Reed
And lead the other three
Well maybe Reed's a bit of a stretch
I can barely take care of me

Captain America, him perhaps
I love his mighty shield
But I fear I'm not brave enough
When things get rough, I yield

If I could be a superhero
I would wonder which I'd be
Or maybe it's time I tried to find
The hero inside me

Another song that not many people know is Superman by Joe Brooks. In the song he is talking about how he wishes he could read her mind or that he could be superman for his girl, but he's not and hopes that she will like him for him.



Conclusion
I have learned that to be a superhero you don't have to have superhuman powers. You can be a superhero by being yourself and using your abilities to help friends and family. You don't have to have a alter-ego or an arch rival evil villain. I also realized how many songs and movies there are about superheros. I've learned that there are many different types of superheroes and you can find something about or having to do with superheroes everywhere.

0 comments: