Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Climb

Throughout Miles To Go there are a lot of really good quotes. One that stood out to me while I was reading was, "Fear is the only obstacle that gets in the way of doing what we love. People are scared to travel, to try new things, to follow their dreams. Fear holds us back from living the lives we were made to live." Miley was talking about when they were filming the Hannah Montana movie and they had to jump off a cliff into the water. I think this stood out to me when I was reading because fear is such a big obstacle in everyones life. If it's something small like trying a new food or something big like jumping off a cliff. Throughout life, everyone faces challenges that may seem impossible to get through, but by facing your fears you can acheive something you never thought possible. I went to Mexico for spring break and I have this love-hate relationship with the ocean. I love the ocean, but when I get to a point where i can't touch the ground I start freaking out. The fact that fish scare me doesn't help my fear. At the resort they had it marked off really far out and one day I was with three friends and we began swimming out for fun. The farther we got the more i started freaking out, but i knew that you don't have a million chances to swim out in the ocean in Mexico so i didn't back down. And not only could i not touch but it was extremely windy, creating huge waves. We made it really far out and back and now when i think back on it I'm happy that i faced my fears. Swimming out in the ocean isn't going to change how my life goes on, but it's a fear that I faced. Everyone has a fear, and for some it could be keeping them back from living out their dreams. "It's about working for what you want. It's about the climb."

0 comments: